tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: can't see GUI in Redhat Linux
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2011 20:39:50 GMT
TSGX wrote:

> wadi wadi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed Apache tomcat 7.0.8 on my RedHat linux machine. When launching
>> tomcat using ./startup.sh the following is displayed but I can't see the
>> Tomcat gui window that displays the log information as on a Windows
>> machine.
>>

>> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /home/user678/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8
>> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /home/user678/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8
>> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/user678/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8/temp
>> Using JRE_HOME:        /home/user678/mysoft/jdk1.6.0_25
>> Using CLASSPATH:
>> /home/user678/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8/bin/bootstrap.jar:/home/smw81327/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
>>
>> Where is the gui window? or is there anyway to display the log information
>> using tail command, which log file to tail?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>

> If you want to see the GUI, I think you have to open a browser and enter
> "localhost:8080" in the URL. Also make sure your proxy is turned off.

In the sense that Tomcat is a webserver, and that the usual understanding of GUI is
Graphical User Interface, it could be argued that a browser is it.
In the sense that the OP meant however, this is utter nonsense.
And so is the proxy bit.

@wadi wadi:
If you look at the contents of "startup.sh", you will see that it calls catalina.sh with
the argument "start".
If you look at catalina.sh, you will see that when it is called with the argument "start",

it re-directs STDOUT and STDERR to a logfile somewhere.
If you call catalina.sh with the argument "run" instead, it does not do that, and STDOUT
and STDERR are then output to the console where you call up catalina.sh.

So instead of "./startup.sh", try "./catalina.sh run".