tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat Configuration in Multi Core Systems
Date Sat, 23 Apr 2011 18:44:20 GMT
On 4/23/2011 2:31 PM, Sujeet Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two servers which has below configuration,
>
> Server A has 32 GB RAM, 4  processors each of 2.8 GHz
>
> Server B has 32 GB RAM, 116  processors each of 1.6 GHz.
>
> Both servers has tomcat installed having same configuration.
>
> Tomcat of server B is at least half as slow as Server A.
>
> My question is...just by increasing the worker thread count, the performance
> of
> Server B can be increased or we need to do something else also?
>
> Tomcat version is 5.5 and Java version is 5. OS used is Solaris 10 SPARC.
>
> Thanks&  Regards,
> Sujeet

First, I assume you mean "16" processors in server B, rather than 116.

You need to define "slow":  time to process a single request, or # of
requests it can handle?

Server B's clock speed is about half that of A, so I would expect
(everything else being equal) that it would run at ~ half the speed of A
for a single request.  However, given that it has 4x as many processors,
it should be able to handle ~ 4x as many simultaneous requests, but each
of them will still take about 2x as long as they would on A.