tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: Simple Tomcat monitoring ?
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:43:00 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier []
>> Subject: Simple Tomcat monitoring ?
>>   5396 root      20   0  832m 610m 9224 S  100  5.1  12:32.43 java
>> the second task visible above is the interface to the search engine).
> Which seems to be single-thread and thus a possible bottleneck.  The 100% CPU usage is
very suspicious.

I thought so too, but it does not seem to be.
When I use the command
ps -p 5396 -Lf
I see multiple "instances", all running the same command. They all have the same PID, but

different numbers in the "LWP" column (Light-Weight-Process ?).

>> which would be the easiest/quickest way of starting to figure
>> out what this tomcat is doing, and where the system/application
>> bottleneck might be ?
> This has proven to be a useful tool to look inside a running Tomcat:
I had a (very) quick look at the website.
 From what I gather at this first look though, it seems already a bit "invasive", in the
sense that it seems that to start collecting any information at all about a servlet or
tomcat, the least one can do (unless one controls the source code of the application,
which I do not), is to configure another classloader etc..
That means changing the Tomcat configuration and restarting Tomcat.
That's maybe a bit more than what I am looking for right now.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message