tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7 Startup Problems
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2011 13:58:49 GMT
Long explanation:

1) the Windows installer, for some unfathomable reason, does not contain all the files.
The 64-bit zip file does.

2) a standard java JVM does not have the "plumbing" to run well as a Windows Service (for

example, it does not react to Windows Service Events).  That's why some smart people
created a "service wrapper" which does have such plumbing, and this wrapper in turn will
run the JVM which runs tomcat.  This wrapper is what you get as "tomcat7.exe".

3) this wrapper takes its parameters from the Windows registry (for example, which JVM to

run).  Another Windows program, distributed as "tomcat7w.exe", is the GUI editor which
allows to view/modify these parameters.

Normally, all this should be set up properly by the tomcat exe installer.  But it looks
like in your case, something did not happen correctly.
Under Windows 7, it may be because you did not get rid of UAC, or did not run the
installer "as an administrator", or who knows what else.