tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: a suggestion for documenting one's first jsp/servlet deployment
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:54:21 GMT
On 03/04/2011 13:20, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i'm still reading the deployment page so i'm sure i'll figure it out
> in short order, but any chance of something like that being added?

In short, no chance.

The longer answer comes in two parts.

The first is that the Tomcat docs, with the exception of the "first
webapp" section, assume that folks are familiar with the relevant
specifications (Servlet 3.0, JSP 2.2, EL 2.2 & HTTP 1.1 are the main
ones but there are others) and tries not to repeat information that is
included in those specifications. The docs (and some error messages)
reference those specifications as necessary. The layout of a web
application is covered in the Servlet specification.

The second is that the Tomcat distribution packaging is a constant
balance between features, small download size and ease of use. Various
organisations of the packaging have been tried over the years and none
have yet managed to please everybody (nor do I think we will ever find
one that does please everybody). If Tomcat were to include the
additional directories you suggest, most users would view them as cruft
that has to be deleted.

Mark