tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Fisher <dfis...@jmlafferty.com>
Subject Re: Populating Oracle v$session.program from Tomcat Context.xml
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2011 01:08:53 GMT

>>> Can you use the combination of machine and schema name to identify the
>>> instance? You didn't detail your environment, but if you have a cluster,
>>> then the machine name would uniquely identify the instance. If you have
>>> multiple different instances on the same machine, then surely the schema
>>> name would allow you to identify which user it is? This covers all
>>> possibilities unless you have different apps on the same machine in
>>> different tomcat instances talking to the same schema.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>

>> We are running all of our web-applications from two machines, and they
>> all use the same schema/username, so unfortunately I need the program,
>> client_info, module, etc field to identify them.
>>
>> We are running a RAC, and I'm querying gv$session which should get me
>> all cluster member connections.
>>
>> As David said, this does work with the thin driver, but I need the
>> service/load balancing functionality from OCI. Any more suggestions
>> are welcome!
>>

> Does anyone else have any additional thoughts on this? I'd sure
> appreciate more input.

I did some googling and I think that you will have to actually set this value from your code
somehow.

This thread is found in multiple places: http://www.rhinocerus.net/forum/databases-oracle-misc/569644-setting-v-session-program.html

The attribute is OCI_ATTR_MEMPOOL_APPNAME.

The package used is dbms_application_info.

Google "jdbc api dbms_application_info" and this link http://stackoverflow.com/questions/53379/using-dbms-application-info-with-jboss
may help you ...

I do wonder if using module and action from V$session might be more appropriate and fine grained.

Regards,
Dave