tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX <LeoDona...@mail.maricopa.gov>
Subject RE: Logging request parameters - Filter vs Servlet
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:28:51 GMT
Chris,

ServletContext logging then?

>There is an AccessLogValve that you can use if you know which request
>parameters you want to log. There is also a RequestDumperValve (and
>RequestDumperFilter in 7.0) that you can use to dump everything from the
>request. See the docs for details.
>
>Would those work for you?

The AccessLog pattern I'm using:
pattern="%h %l %u %t %r %q %s %b"

The results:
2.3.4.5 - - [29/Mar/2011:16:02:39 -0700] "POST /oppositioncase/oppositioncase.faces HTTP/1.1"
200 38621

My web app uses the JSF framework, forgot to mention that.

http://planning.maricopa.gov/oppositioncase

samples:
211-52-002A
211-74-016
211-53-005C

Those are the parameters I'm trying to capture, along with the map image url.
A.  We'd like to know how many requests actually generated a map image.
B.  We'd like to know whether this app is searching for parcels primarily in the unincorporated
areas of the County, or parcels located within a city jurisdiction.  That part I can figure
out once I know which parcels people are searching.

>>Note that reading request parameters in a Filter may trigger parsing of a POST request
body
>>which may not be something you want to happen on every request.

I guess my only option then is to log them from the web app.  But somewhere I've read that
is the wrong/lazy way to do logging.