tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Darryl Lewis <darryl.le...@unsw.edu.au>
Subject Re: How to detect down of tomcat.
Date Sun, 20 Mar 2011 03:00:49 GMT
Put this in a cronjob to fire every minute

#!/bin/sh
if [ `ps -ef|grep tomcat|grep -v grep|wc -l` -lt 1 ]
  then
  subject=`tomcat down; date`
  address="me@domain.com"
  ps -ef>att.txt
  mail -s "$subject" "$addr" -- -fno-reply@yourdomain< att.txt
fi

Fill in the address with your email address, and you can also pipe an attachment

For myself, I have scripts that detects when the service is down, sends me an email, then
tries to restart it, then will email if it has managed to recover it. If it can't restart
it after 5 minutes, then I get an SMS.
In the morning, I can quickly see if it failed overnight, and my beauty rest only gets disturbed
in the really bad cases.