tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ashish Kumar Dash <>
Subject Re: StackOverFlowError in Tomcat 6.0.29
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:29:45 GMT
Hi Kolinko and Chris,
I appreciate your interest for spending your time for this issue and also am
sorry for the delayed response.

The stack trace is correct only, I have just removed some redundant lines
from it.

As per my view the observations are :

A. This StackOverflowError is random, kind of twice or thrice in a month in
my server. But this server serves the similar requests with out any prob
rest all time of the month.

B. This Error is found in these three different scenarios till date :
1) at

2) at

3) at

PFA : The StackTrace from Thread dump at the time of StackOverFlowError for
the above three scenarios.

C. The , have a chance of recursion in the above
methodes if somehow the request object is the same as the
ServletRequestWrapper (this.request = request)

D. Ideally in the calls the invoke method and in
this invoke method it calls the doFilter() and then it is unwrap the Request
& Response. But what if the filter have been called and due to some reason
the unwrapping won't happen as expected. There are chances in unwraped
rerquest will goahead with the doFilter() call leading to the recursion.

FYI : This is a clustered environment with 6 instance of catalina running
across two physical boxes.
Chris FYI : We have a Filter which logs the NDC content, but we are not
adding any kind of wrappers for these requests.

Please let me know if any more info is required.

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 5:49 AM, Konstantin Kolinko