tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: --Jvm option trouble with Windows service
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:56:59 GMT
> From: Olivier Lefevre [mailto:lefevrol@yahoo.com]
> Subject: --Jvm option trouble with Windows service

> --Jvm "C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin\server\jvm.dll"

> If instead --Jvm is set to auto all works well. Why? The DLL
> exists, is readable/executable by all and I am doing this under
> an account with admin privileges (on XP) anyhow.

You have a *server* JVM installed on Windows XP?  Want to verify that?

> If --StartPath is omitted Tomcat attempts to start in the
> local directory, which of course fails; this is very puzzling,
> as one would expect it to start under the install directory
> by default (and yes --Install was supplied)

Why would you expect that?  This is a service, not a user logon environment.

> Where is it safe to use env. vars so as to shorten the
> invocation a bit?

Never; again, this is a service, so there are no environment variables.

> Since you target Java 5 and above maybe you could start using
> the star syntax in the classpath to shorten things a bit further

Please give a specific example of how this might be useful.

> Is there still a dependency on tools.jar, e.g., for servlets?

There has never been such a dependency.  Several years ago, there was a requirement to have
tools.jar accessible in order to compile JSPs, but that is long gone.

 - Chuck