tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: System.out anf tomcat 6
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 03:27:44 GMT
> From: jason johnson [mailto:jasonjohnson1898@yahoo.com]
> Subject: System.out anf tomcat 6

> I am using tomcat 6.0.16 and windows xp.

Time to upgrade - that's over three years old (and we won't say anything about your OS...).

> Now that I am using tomcat 6, I can't find the stdout.log
> file anywhere.

That would be because there isn't one (I don't recall one in 5.0.x on Windows, either) - unless
you run Tomcat as a Windows service.

> I have seen a lot of information about writing my own logger
> using log4j and juli but for what I use System.out for, I
> would prefer to leave it as it and have it just write to log
> file for me.

It's not necessary to write your own logger; just set the attribute swallowOutput to "true"
in the <Context> element for your webapp.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/context.html#Standard_Implementation

 - Chuck