tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: [OT] IIS7/isapi/tomcat performance
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 22:42:51 GMT
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: [OT] IIS7/isapi/tomcat performance

> Are you saying that a 32-bit JVM running on a 64-bit machine
> somehow utilizes the 64-bit bus?  Malarkey.

I wouldn't bet on that.  Intel goes to great pains to insure all of the buses are fully utilized.
 On a 64-bit machine, all of the data paths from RAM up to the L1 operand cache will be able
to move twice the number of items per cycle when the items are only 32 bits wide.  Between
the L1 cache and the superscalar execution core, there may be less of a gain, but since the
core contains three ALUs and separate load and store sections to service them, memory operations
are combined wherever possible to get data in and out as fast as possible.

 - Chuck