tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Vetoing the start of a webapp
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 18:52:14 GMT
> From: Olivier Lefevre [mailto:lefevrol@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: Vetoing the start of a webapp

> Sorry, can you give me the actual section: are you
> referring to ยง11.6?

In the 3.0 spec, it's in section 11.6 (was 10.6 in the 2.5 version).  The key statements are:

"The container may respond to all subsequent requests to the Web application with an HTTP
status code 500 to indicate an application error.

"Developers wishing normal processing to occur after a listener generates an exception must
handle their own exceptions within the notification methods."

It's unfortunate that the first sentence uses the word "may" rather than "must" - evidence
of wording generated by a committee.  Because of the softness of the spec, it may well be
safest to use the flag in the ServletContext and check it with a filter.

 - Chuck