tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Mayr <ste...@mayr-stefan.de>
Subject Re: Simulating HTTPS in terminated SSL/Apache 2/Tomcat 6 cluster
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:15:46 GMT
Am 29.03.2011 16:19, schrieb Jeffrey Janner:
>> OK, I'm sure some of you guys can weigh in better on this than me, but:
>>
>> If he already has two "intelligent" load-balancers terminating the SSL,
>> couldn't he simplify the configuration a good bit by removing the
>> Apache servers all together?  That is, couldn't he just run Tomcat as a
>> stand-alone cluster with HTTP/HTTPS connectors instead of AJP?
>>
>> --
>> Jeff
>>
> To answer my own question:  Unless he needs the Apache httpd setup to insure session
stickyness because his "intelligent" load-balancers cannot provide it.

There are other reasons too:
- adding addition access restricions not handled in tomcat
- adding custom errorpages
- offloading static content from tomcat
- doing some rewriting
- ...

Apache httpd may not be very lightweight but it is very feature rich.
Often it is the only point you can additionaly influence closed
application running in tomcat

   Stefan