tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Max value of MaxPermSize
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:50:33 GMT
abhishek jain wrote:
>>> also am i writing these values in the correct location,
>> With the tomcat base startup scripts, this should be in
>> $CATALINA_BASE/setenv.sh. This file will be sourced by catalina.sh if
>> it exists.
>>
> Hi
> I have a feeling that i am writing in wrong place,
> setenv.sh dont exist in my system, do i need to create that or can i write
> directly in catalina.sh, if yes where to place this configuration.

Hey, this is Open Source, and this mailing list is manned by volunteers who try to help
other people to the extent of their own knowledge.
But it means that you also are supposed to make some effort at finding and reading the
on-line documentation, and even scripts and code if necessary.

In catalina.sh, there is this section :

if [ -r "$CATALINA_BASE"/bin/setenv.sh ]; then
   . "$CATALINA_BASE"/bin/setenv.sh
elif [ -r "$CATALINA_HOME"/bin/setenv.sh ]; then
   . "$CATALINA_HOME"/bin/setenv.sh
fi

It means that it looks there, and *if it exists*, runs it in the context of the current
script. (*)

Apart from that, and about your basic problem : my own recommendation would be to start by

*removing* all these extra command-line switches about memory allocation etc.., and give a

chance to the JVM default settings.  They have been carefully chosen by experts, to cover

the majority of reasonable cases.
*Then*, if you still have a problem, try to identify where the problem is, instead of
starting to poke left and right with settings that you may not fully understand.

(I have about 10 Tomcat servers running with *no* -XX:MaxPermSize and with -Xms256M
-Xmx256M, and they are doing fine. Of course your *applications* are different.)

(*) Since what you seem to be running is a third-party repackaged Tomcat, it may or may
not even run the catalina.sh script.  That is something you would have to find out. There

is no easy way for people on this list to tell for sure, as we do not know what the
packager has done.

You should also check if the system itself is a 32-bit or 64-bit system, and check what
JVM you are running on it (32-bit or 64-bit). That also matters for knowing how much
memory you /can/ allocate to the JVM.
(And note that this still relates to the java JVM, not to Tomcat per se).