tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Session timeouts: ignore "periodic polling" URL?
Date Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:26:46 GMT
Felix Schumacher wrote:

>> The creation or retrieval of a session, as far as I understand it, is
>> totally under application control.
>> In other words, if your servlet (or JSP), when it is called, executes
>> a HttpServletRequest.getSession() call, then it will retrieve the
>> existing session (or create one if none exists yet); and if it does
>> not call getSession(), it will not.

> If the browser sends a session-id, tomcat will touch the session and
> mark it as alive.

My response above was made on the base of the Servlet Specification and the Javadoc of
HttpRequest.getSession().  I am not versed enough in the specifics of the Tomcat code to
contradict what you say above.
But I remain unconvinced.  It sounds illogical that the container would go look for the
session, before it is explicitly asked to do so.

So we need a real Tomcat expert here.