tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Session timeouts: ignore "periodic polling" URL?
Date Sun, 20 Mar 2011 11:19:57 GMT
sol myr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a Servelts/JSP application Tomcat6.
> Our javascripts issues automatic, periodic polling requests (Ajax and Comet), in order
to keep the view  up-to-date.
> Unfortunately this prevents sessions from timing out...
>
> Is there a way to tell Tomcat that some URL shouldn't affect session timeouts?
> Namely if for the last 30 minutes, the browser requested nothing but "http://server/autoRefresh.do"
, then Tomcat should assume the user went away from the computer, and kill the session.

You may have to explain the logic of this a bit better, because on the face of it, it
makes no sense.
Presumably, if you create a session, it is because the application needs a session (aka,
needs some information to be preserved between individual requests of the same user/browser).
Then why would you want it to time out ?
And if you don't need a session, then why do you create one ?