tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Installing Tomcat the Brute Force Way?
Date Sun, 20 Mar 2011 11:03:28 GMT
Robinson, Eric wrote:
>>> From looking at the server, it would appear that tomcat was
>> installed
>>> using tomcat-6.0.18-0.noarch.rpm.
>> Now you're in trouble.  The 3rd-party repackaged versions of
>> Tomcat typically scatter files all over, and then try to get
>> things back together with symlinks.  You're better off doing
>> a proper install on the new server.  Had you used a real
>> Tomcat, life would be much easier.
>>
>>  - Chuck
>>

> Not necessarily. I did an rpm -qlp on tomcat-6.0.18-0.noarch.rpm. All
> the files it installs are in /opt/tomcat

The files, yes.  But it is highly likely that it installs also links from /etc/tomcat,
/usr/share/tomcat, /usr/lib/tomcat, /var/lib/tomcat and so on.
At least, that is what most Linux packages that I know are doing.

To take a top-down view, you generally have two major choices :

A) you download and install the "real tomcat" from tomcat.apache.org.  That one installs
everything below one top directory.  It is easy to install, copy, update, etc..
* on its own *.
If your purpose is mainly Tomcat-centric (e.g. you want to test Tomcat or develop for
Tomcat, you have only this one server where you need to take care of it etc..), then that

is probably the easiest solution.
It is also easier to get support on this list, because with that one, everyone knows where

to look for the files.
And, that is also the right one to use of you want the very latest version available.

OR

B) you go with whatever package manager system is used by the target server, and use
whatever "best" version they've got.
As Chuck says, these packages have a tendency to spread files and links all over, if you
look at it from a purely Tomcat point of view.  But if you have to manage a bunch of
servers, and Tomcat is only one little part in what you have to manage, and/or you need
Tomcat to interact with other software packages which need to be of compatible versions
etc.., then packages are definitely easier.
I personally find it rather sweet to be able, on a new Debian Linux system fresh out of
the box :
- apt-get install sun-jdk6
- apt-get install apache2
- apt-get installl tomcat6
- apt-get install apache2-mod-jk
(more or less)
and have it all just work, and have it all put its startup scripts where (as a sysadmin)
you expect (/etc/init.d), its logfiles where you expect them (/var/log/apache2 and
/var/log/tomcat6) (and they get rotated too), its configuration files where you expect
them (/etc/apache2 and /etc/tomcat6), and so on.
It gets a little bit more puzzling when it comes time to figure out where (or if) it has
installed the demo webapps though, or where exactly to find Tomcat's startup.sh, and
whether the system is using it or not..

But you have a choice, and that's the nice part.