tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Typical setting for <Host name="????" />
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:02:16 GMT
On 15/03/2011 06:06, Jason Pringle wrote:
> Clearly what is there is correct, since it takes some extra effort to embed a Host header
into the HTTP request if you don't have a DNS entry (messing with /etc/hosts would be one
way).  But that last bit of info for how Tomcat actually makes use of the header would be
handy in the docs (I know - patches welcome :))

I took a stab at improving the docs. You can read the results here.
http://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat7/docs/config/host.html
And yes, patches/suggested changes welcome.

> Is there any measurable performance optimization of using the name of the host that is
expected to be in the request?  I would guess not, even for a very high volume site, but haven't
looked at the code.

There is a very, very small gain. I doubt it it measurable.

Mark