tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Performance 5.5 vs 6 vs 7
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:02:12 GMT
How might I expect the performance of 7 to compare to a late rev of 5.5
or 6.0.x, running under JRE 6?  Specifically, my application has lots of
small, simple requests, and the app does nothing but de-obfuscate (it's
not really sophisticated enough to call it encryption) the data and save
it to disk.  But it does a LOT of them, 60 to 100 per second during
normal operation, more during very busy times.  The overall average when
I checked last week was about 60 requests per second for the previous 10
days, around the clock, >4.5M per day.

I spent quite a bit of effort in optimizing my app last year, and got
some big gains in it, but now I'm again starting to not be able to keep
up with the increased flow as our customer has doubled their number of
installations, so I'm looking elsewhere for potential improvements. I've
already checked my connection bandwidth, and that still has some
headroom, though not a lot.  Can I expect TC 6 or 7 to handle larger
numbers of very simple requests than 5.5 can?

Dave