tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Hubbs <jhubbsl...@att.net>
Subject Re: tomcat server
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2011 18:14:16 GMT
If you use "localhost2" as a URL, you will almost certainly get an error
because that name is unlikely to resolve to a system that is set up to
provide a Web service to your browser.  If you get an error when using
the URL "localhost", that is because the machine you're running that
browser on ("localhost", by convention, always refers to the machine on
which the network host reference is being made) does not have a Web
service configured to respond on IP port 80, which, also by convention,
is the default port number for http traffic.  It works when you use
"localhost:8080" because 8080 is the default IP port on which Tomcat
receives Web traffic.  So, your arrangement is working exactly as one
would expect.

On 3/10/11 12:36 PM, ken dias wrote:
> Questions:1. how to get response (not error)  when i type localhost2. why does it work
in one case and not the other
> please don't try to be funny, answer the question or don't reply
>
>> From: Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com
>> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
>> Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:16:38 -0600
>> Subject: RE: tomcat server
>>
>>> From: ken dias [mailto:kendias@hotmail.com]
>>> Subject: tomcat server
>>> I started the Tomcat webserver. When I keyin "localhost:8080",
>>> I get the apache-tomcat webpage and can run the examples.
>>> however, when i keyin "localhost"  only, i get error.
>> As you should.  Do you have a question?
>>
>>   - Chuck
>>

>> THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL
and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please
contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.