tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Problem accessing a secure resource with FORM login method when web application clustered on Tomcat 6.0.18
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:34:11 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 03/03/2011 12:18, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:
>> My guess is that there is an issue with Tomcat AJP connector because of
>> which the request is getting forwarded to the login page when the HTTP
>> server switches the node that will serve the request.  Can someone throw
>> light on what could be happening here?
>
> You guess is wrong. Everything is working exactly as it should.
>
> FORM authentication requires a session to work whereas BASIC does not.
> You have not configured your 2 Tomcat instances for session replication
> (get your test page to print out the session ID to confirm this). If you
> don't want a second login when you move from node 1 to node 2, you'll
> need to configure session replication (aka clustering).

Or maybe as a workaround : since you are using a front-end Apache httpd + mod_jk anyway,
if you do the authentication at the Apache httpd front-end level, then mod_jk will forward

the Apache-known userid to Tomcat through AJP, with each request.
You then set the
tomcatAuthentication="false" on the Tomcat AJP Connector, and Tomcat will accept the
userid as forwarded by Apache/mod_jk.
That may be simpler and more efficient than setting up Tomcat clustering just for this reason.