tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tony Anecito <>
Subject Re: Glashfish release is really fast...
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2011 05:59:33 GMT
Hi Chris,

I only reported what I read on this link:

Regarding startup I have maybe 6 JAXWS and 1 JAXRS web services and whatever out
of the box services Tomcat 7 has and I get the following message in my console:
INFO: Server startup in 7197 ms

As you know I am running AMD 6 core 2.8Ghz processor and my disks are SATA 2 and
2GB of fast DDR3 memory.

----- Original Message ----
From: Christopher Schultz <>
To: Tomcat Users List <>
Sent: Fri, March 4, 2011 1:18:18 PM
Subject: Re: Glashfish release is really fast...

On 3/2/2011 12:02 PM, Tony Anecito wrote:
> Glashfish 3.1 was
> released yesterday and its performance is the best I have seen for a J2EE
> servlet container. They reported a 30% + improvement in almost every area and a
> less than 4 seconds startup that's even better than Tomcat 7 with my 6 core
> machine.

I think start time depends a lot upon your webapp(s). For instance, our
dev server is a virtualized quad-core 3.4GHz Xeon (or maybe it's a
dual-core with hyperthreading) that we share with who knows how many
other VMs. Tomcat 6.0.32 starts up in 6569 and that includes launching
our webapp which grabs ~4300 text mathematical expressions from our
database and parses them into evaluable objects.

I'd bet that Tomcat with no webapps deployed would start up in about 2
seconds on my hardware.

> But I suspect for that number they were using a UltraSparc T3. They
> also now provide mod_jk support so Apache can be the web server and Glashfish
> the J2EE container.

GlassFish didn't support AJP before? That doesn't seem right...

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: