tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "??G??S ???O???S" <co...@hua.gr>
Subject AccessLogValve pattern (timestamp, bytes sent and time taken)
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2011 07:06:04 GMT
Tomcat 5.5 or 6.0
Win XP or Vista (32)

I've read the configuration (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/valve.html) and
the api (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/catalina/valves/AccessLogValve.html)
but there are some details that are not specified:

timestamp (%t in pattern)
In apache documentation it is stated that this is the time that the request was received.
I'd like some simple confirmation that this also holds true for the tomcat (and is not, for
example, the time that the response was sent).

bytes sent (either %b or %B in pattern)
Is this the number of bytes actually sent to the client, or simply the size in bytes of the
HTTP response (which will differ, for instance, if the connection is aborted)? The apache
httpd 2.0 provides the %O format as well to distinguish between these two cases, whereas in
1.3 it didn't. Since tomcat does not provide such an option, my guess is towards the number
of bytes actually sent to the client, but I'd like some simple confirmation on this.

time taken (either %D or %T in pattern)
Is the network transmission time included in the processing time? To be more precise, is this
the time the server used to process, prepare the HTTP response and deliver it to the underlying
layer for transmission (i.e. non-blocking threads on tcp send)? Or does it also include the
underlying layer sending time (e.g. blocking threads on tcp send)? Apache's documentation
is also obscure on that point...

We're going to use tomcat on a faster than real time web server simulation experiment, and
I need the above details to correctly build a satisfactory initial model for the web server.

Thank you,

Antonios Kogias