tomcat-users mailing list archives

From jan gestre <ipcopper...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Optimize CPU Hogging Tomcat 6
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 13:21:21 GMT
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Brett Delle Grazie
<brett.dellegrazie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> On 2 February 2011 06:41, Olaf Tomczak <olaf.tomczak@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jan,
>>
>> The limit of open files on linux/unix systems for normal users may be
>> quite low by default (for example 1024). From my experience, this may
>> lead to "Too many open files" errors during high load even if your
>> application is working fine. Try increasing this limit, also check
>> your application as Chuck suggested.
>
> Just in case you aren't sure of how to do this on RHEL5 edit:
> /etc/security/limits.conf
>
> You'll want to add a line similar to (assuming 'tomcat' is the user
> running tomcat):
> tomcat hard nofile 4096
> tomcat soft nofile 4096
>
> Adjust the number (4096) as necessary.
>

>> --
>> Olaf
>>
>> 2011/2/2 jan gestre <ipcopper.ph@gmail.com>:

were therefore not contributing to the CPU usage.

out of fd numbers will normally be fatal, and is almost always due to bugs in a webapp.

>>> hi chuck,
>>>
>>> Tomcat's version is 6.0.29, Sun Java JDK 1.6.0_21 and RHEL5, webapp is Alfresco.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Jan
>>>

> --

Hi Olaf and Brett,

I already made those changes similar to what is mentioned here -->
http://spiralbound.net/blog/2008/03/17/rhel-system-configuration-changes-for-oracle-10g,
it appears that the changes improved the performance, the system no
longer chokes. However I still want to optimize other settings like
JVM configuration to further enhance systems performance,
unfortunately I have where to find the JVM config.

Cheers!

Jan