tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Olaf Tomczak <olaf.tomc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Optimize CPU Hogging Tomcat 6
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 06:41:30 GMT
Jan,

The limit of open files on linux/unix systems for normal users may be
quite low by default (for example 1024). From my experience, this may
lead to "Too many open files" errors during high load even if your
application is working fine. Try increasing this limit, also check
your application as Chuck suggested.

--
Olaf

2011/2/2 jan gestre <ipcopper.ph@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Caldarale, Charles R
> <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
>>> From: jan gestre [mailto:ipcopper.ph@gmail.com]
>>> Subject: Re: Optimize CPU Hogging Tomcat 6
>>
>>> Here's a snippet of the thread dump using jstack:
>>
>> Nothing there of any interest; all the ones you showed weren't running and were therefore
not contributing to the CPU usage.

>>> Also, here's my catalina log:
>>
>>> Feb 1, 2011 10:19:04 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Acceptor run
>>> SEVERE: Socket accept failed
>>> java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
>>
>> That looks like something you should take care of...
>>
>> Is your webapp opening files (or sockets) and failing to close them?  Running out
of fd numbers will normally be fatal, and is almost always due to bugs in a webapp.