tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <peter.crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject Re: Is IBM Right About Java?
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2011 12:25:26 GMT
On 9 February 2011 01:36, Caldarale, Charles R
<Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com>wrote:

> The JVM always reserves the maximum heap size as virtual space, but does
> not allocate more of the heap than the current limit; the limit will be
> adjusted up or down within the -Xms : -Xmx range as load dictates.  The
> unused virtual space is not available for any other use.
>
> Chuck, d'you happen to know how the virtual space reservation impacts swap
space requirements (if at all)?  Although somewhat less unpleasant than
buying RAM, 200 * 0.5Gbytes is still a lot of disk to allocate for swap if
you expect it's never going to be used.  I therefore assume there's not a
direct mapping of reserved virtual space to reserved space in the swap file.

- Peter