tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Question on Realm Configuration
Date Sat, 26 Feb 2011 19:28:42 GMT
> From: Josh Gooding [mailto:josh.gooding@gmail.com]
> Subject: Question on Realm Configuration

> I'm running 6.0.29 and I have setup a realm in my context.xml
> file as follows:

Exactly which context.xml file?  Where is it located?  If it's in the webapp's META-INF/context.xml
file, and you're not redeploying the webapp properly, it could be getting overridden by a
copy of it in conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml, which might not be up to date.

If instead you've updated conf/context.xml, you've made an error.  Put the <Context>
element where it belongs, not in the global location.

> when I input my credentials and check the log, it says it
> cannot find password for user JGooding.

Show us the exact log entries, please.

> If I remember right, the realm doesn't have to be defined in
> the server.xml if it is defined in the context.xml.

Correct; and you've got the localDataSource set, which is what's usually missed.

 - Chuck