tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robinson, Eric" <eric.robin...@psmnv.com>
Subject RE: Is IBM Right About Java?
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2011 16:31:04 GMT
> > The JVM always reserves the maximum heap size as virtual space, but
> > does not allocate more of the heap than the current limit;
> the limit
> > will be adjusted up or down within the -Xms : -Xmx range as load
> > dictates.  The unused virtual space is not available for
> any other use.
> >
> > Chuck, d'you happen to know how the virtual space
> reservation impacts
> > swap
> space requirements (if at all)?  Although somewhat less
> unpleasant than buying RAM, 200 * 0.5Gbytes is still a lot of
> disk to allocate for swap if you expect it's never going to
> be used.  I therefore assume there's not a direct mapping of
> reserved virtual space to reserved space in the swap file.

My server should be a good test case. We have 203 instances of java. 95%
of them are configured with -Xms64M -Xmx64M. A handful are configured
with higher values, but none with more than 256M.

A quick...

	# ps axo rsz,vsz,comm,user|grep java|sort -n

..shows the java processes are consuming a total of 20GB of resident
memory and 56GB of virtual memory.

'top' shows zero swapping, by the way.

top - 08:24:57 up 128 days,  5:52,  5 users,  load average: 1.31, 1.49,
1.40
Tasks: 424 total,   1 running, 422 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie
Cpu(s):  4.3%us,  1.1%sy,  0.0%ni, 93.6%id,  0.8%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.3%si,
0.0%st
Mem:  33265832k total, 22393776k used, 10872056k free,   297752k buffers
Swap:  2031608k total,        0k used,  2031608k free,  3961280k cached

--Eric

Disclaimer - February 9, 2011
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for Tomcat
Users List. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy
or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
author and might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management.
Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable
precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility
for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.