tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting the Tomcat shutdown port
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:16:03 GMT
On 28/02/2011 16:12, Olivier Lefevre wrote:
>> Doing this from a servlet begs the question how you are going
>> to restart it.
>
> Not an issue: I want to shut it down at startup if some needed
> resources cannot be found. No pint restarting it then.

Fair enough. I wouldn't do it in a Servlet.init() though. A
ServletContextListener that stops the app starting is probably better.
Your application may be on a shared Tomcat instance someday and
System.exit is really bad in that case.

If you really do want to control Tomcat startup, a LifecycleListener is
a better approach but Tomcat specific.

>> I'm also curious why you want tot do this but System.exit() will
>> have exactly the same result as using the shutdown port.
>
> Does Tomcat set up appropriate shutdown hooks when it starts?
> Otherwise tearing down the VM could cause damage to external
> resources at least.

Yes, which is why I wrote "System.exit() will have exactly the same
result as using the shutdown port.".

Mark