tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: 500 Internal Server Error after 5 minutes
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 22:11:04 GMT
Uma Maheswara Rao M wrote:
> Hi André Warnier,
>
> Is there any way we can control the browser timeout?

At the browser level, none that I know of.
But even if there was one, there is a basic principle on the WWW : the browser is under
control of the user, so anything that you would do, the users can undo. And they will.

This being said, one way to avoid this problem is to arrange for sending something from
time to time from the server to the browser while your application is working. Even if it

is one byte, the browser will not give up as long as it does not stay 5 minutes without
receiving anything at all.

The nice way of doing that is to have some kind of progress bar showing the user that
something is moving.
A lighter way is some message "Please wait..." with an additional dot from time to time.

I do not remember how to do that, but I am sure that someone on this list will have a
suggestion...