tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5.28 Servlet Spec 2.3 - When does Tomcat actually service requests?
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2011 18:03:36 GMT
On 11/02/2011 22:10, Shaun Farrugia wrote:
> I know that per the Servlet Spec 2.3 that Tomcat will start up the Listeners first and
then start up any servlets.  However, I am unsure (the spec is ambigious) on when the Servlet
container is supposed to start servicing incoming requests.

> I have a Servlet that has a load-on-startup  setting of 2 and this initializes some application
settings.  Granted, the best avenue for this is a Listener....  I'm wondering if Tomcat will
service HTTP requests before or after the any load-on-startup Servlets are loaded.  Specically
Tomcat 5.5.28 to 5.5.31.

Logically, load-on-startup servlets have to be loaded before requests
can be serviced.

Mark