tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: problem in shutting down Tomcat server
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 14:35:23 GMT
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>> James Godrej wrote:
>>>

>> To avoid this same issue in the future, maybe you should set JAVA_HOME or
>> JRE_HOME to a "higher-level" link to the Java installation directory.
>>  Usually, Ubuntu/Debian set this as /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun for example, and
>> this link gets updated automatically when you update sun-java.

> I could not understand your suggestion completely.
> Sakai needs JAVA_HOME in a particular fashion.
> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.7
> see the binary version on the link I mentioned

No, it does not.  It says :

1.1 Set Java environment variables
Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to point to the base directory of your Java
installation...

So if you set JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
and /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun is a link which points to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22
(which is "the base of your Java installation"), then it will work fine.

And the day that you run an update, and the Ubuntu package manager replaces
java-6-sun-1.6.0.22 by java-6-sun-1.6.0.36, it will also update the link
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun to point to this new directory, and it will /still/ work.

And the same for Tomcat's JAVA_HOME.
Both Tomcat and the sakai package care only about one thing : that the JAVA_HOME variable

points to a valid Java directory, under which they will find a bin/java executable to run.

But this is getting us a bit far from pure Tomcat support, and entering the area of OS'es

and filesystems and package setup tactics.