tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is it possible for a web application to populate the global JNDI namespace?
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 21:59:14 GMT
On 02/02/2011 20:47, Jason Pringle wrote:

> Can a web application populate the global JNDI namespace?

No.

> I am looking for a possible workaround to create shared connection pools without modifying
server.xml (ie placing entries in <GlobalNamingResources .../>).

JMX is probably your best bet but I don't think the necessary API is
exposed. As always, patches welcome.

> If a web application could populate into the global namespace, then I could devise a
WAR which defined the desired connection pools and placed them in the global namespace.  Other
web applications could then retrieve them as if they had been defined in server.xml.

Apart from the fact that web application start order is undefined...

Lots of things to go wrong here. If two apps define the same resource,
which wins?

I'm fine with the JMX bit but much less comfortable with apps using it
directly.

Mark