tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Shaun Farrugia <sfarru...@fry.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5.5.28 Servlet Spec 2.3 - When does Tomcat actually service requests?
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2011 15:36:52 GMT
 I would think the same but I'm wondering that Tomcat is doing.  Would it allow http requests
to a JSP to be serviced before ALL of the servlets marked as load-on-startup are loaded?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2011 1:04 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.5.28 Servlet Spec 2.3 - When does Tomcat actually service requests?

On 11/02/2011 22:10, Shaun Farrugia wrote:
> I know that per the Servlet Spec 2.3 that Tomcat will start up the Listeners first and
then start up any servlets.  However, I am unsure (the spec is ambigious) on when the Servlet
container is supposed to start servicing incoming requests.

> I have a Servlet that has a load-on-startup  setting of 2 and this initializes some application
settings.  Granted, the best avenue for this is a Listener....  I'm wondering if Tomcat will
service HTTP requests before or after the any load-on-startup Servlets are loaded.  Specically
Tomcat 5.5.28 to 5.5.31.

Logically, load-on-startup servlets have to be loaded before requests can be serviced.

Mark