tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Tim Space <>
Subject RE: Tomcat 6 logging clog
Date Sat, 08 Jan 2011 07:10:21 GMT

As advised I removed every version of tomcat on my system.  There were two or three others
besides the version I was running:
I have always started Tomcat with the sh script, in my home directory, with CATALINA_HOME
set to that Tomcat, and my webapps in that versions webapps directory.  When I used Tomcat
5.5 (not these copies) in my home directory, there was no problems with the logs, the problems
only started after moving to Tomcat 6.0.02.  So that wasn't the problem.
Anyhow, I took Chucks advice and moved to the latest version apache-tomcat-7.0.5.  Thing works
fine out of the box.  Webapp runs, and the new catalina.out is 42MBs, better than 50MBs, but
still clogged.  Here is a sample of some of log entries:

line 43 Jan 8, 2011 6:29:10 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester characters
    ... all Digester logs
line 900623 Jan 8, 2011 6:32:41 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.file.Matcher tokenizePathAsArray
        FINER: Tokenizing path [ant.jar]
    ... all Matcher logs
line 521583  Jan 8, 2011 6:38:11 AM org.apache.jasper.compiler.SmapUtil$SDEInstaller addSDE
        FINE: constant pool count: 378

FINE: 160 read class attr -- 'SourceFile'
Jan 8, 2011 6:38:58 AM org.apache.jasper.compiler.SmapUtil$SDEInstaller copyConstantPool

Jan 8, 2011 6:38:58 AM org.apache.jasper.compiler.SmapUtil$SDEInstaller copyMembers
FINE: member attr count: 2
Jan 8, 2011 6:39:00 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper allocate
FINER:   Returning non-STM instance

line 934632 Jan 8, 2011 6:41:03 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: IntegratedTestResultAction.perform for -5519451928541341468                     (<-
This is the line where my webapp log starts.)

Here is the properties file settings that the distribution come with: = FINE = ${catalina.base}/logs = catalina. = FINE = ${catalina.base}/logs = localhost. = FINE = ${catalina.base}/logs = manager. = FINE = ${catalina.base}/logs = host-manager.

java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = FINE
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter = java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter

org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].level = INFO
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].handlers =

org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/manager].level = INFO
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/manager].handlers =

org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/host-manager].level = INFO
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/host-manager].handlers =

# For example, set the org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase logger to log
# each component that extends LifecycleBase changing state:
#org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.level = FINE

I changed all THE fine INFO settings to SEVERE, and got the log shown above.  I'll think about
moving to Java update 23 from update 16, but doubt that is the problem.  I also added these
settings since they seem to be the majority of the log entries I don't want to see.:


So to me, it really does seem like TOmcat is not using this file, but I don't know where to
configure anything to make sure.

In the catalina.bat file it says:

if not "%LOGGING_CONFIG%" == "" goto noJuliConfig


if not exist "%CATALINA_BASE%\conf\" goto noJuliConfig

set LOGGING_CONFIG=-Djava.util.logging.config.file="%CATALINA_BASE%\conf\"



if not "%LOGGING_MANAGER%" == "" goto noJuliManager

set LOGGING_MANAGER=-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager



In the script it says:

# Set juli LogManager config file if it is present and an override has not been issued
if [ -z "$LOGGING_CONFIG" ]; then
  if [ -r "$CATALINA_BASE"/conf/ ]; then
    # Bugzilla 45585

But as I said above, I use the sh command on my system to start Tomcat, but there
is not mention of in that script.
As Konstantin suggested I looked at the catalina.policy file also.  I notice the java
file is also mentioned there, but as I showed in my last e-mail, I have changed the settings
in that file also.

grant codeBase "file:${catalina.home}/bin/tomcat-juli.jar" {
         "${java.home}${file.separator}lib${file.separator}", "read"; 

         "${catalina.base}${file.separator}conf${file.separator}", "read";

Another problem with this logging situation is that my webapp takes more than two minutes
to load after startup.  What should I try next?

> Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 18:01:48 +0300
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 6 logging clog
> From:
> To:
> 2011/1/7 Caldarale, Charles R <>:
> > From: Tim Space []
> > Subject: Tomcat 6 logging clog
> >
> >> I'm tried modifying both files to no effect:
> >> /apache-tomcat-6.0.20/conf/
> >
> > Step 1: move to the current Tomcat version, not one that's nearly two years old.
> >
> >> /jdk1.6.0_18/jre/lib/
> >
> > Not used by Tomcat.  (You should also update your JVM.)
> It is used by Tomcat.
> (Note the rules in catalina.policy that allow reading that file).
> Properties not defined $CATALINA_BASE/conf/ are
> taken from there.
> Best regards,
> Konstantin Kolinko
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> For additional commands, e-mail:
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message