tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Space <qwertypo...@hotmail.com>
Subject Tomcat 6 logging clog
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 09:40:39 GMT

Hi,

I'm getting huge logs (50MB after startup) in catalina.out despite having turned all logging
up to SEVERE in my logging.property files.
I'm hoping someone can point me to the right thread, as I'm sure others wouldn't have put
up with 50MB logs out of the box as long as I have.  After going over the docs several times,
I see that the standard LogManager "JULI uses either a programmatic approach, or properties
files", so I'm guessing that it's using a programmatic approach, but there is no mention of
how to make my logging use the property files.  I'm tried modifying both files to no effect:
/apache-tomcat-6.0.20/conf/logging.properties
/jdk1.6.0_18/jre/lib/logging.properties

The docs say:
Here is how you would set debugging from Tomcat. You would need to ensure the ConsoleHandler's
level is also set to collect this threshold,
so FINEST or ALL should be set. Please refer to Sun's java.util.logging documentation for
the complete details.
org.apache.catalina.level=FINEST

However, the string "org.apache.catalina.level" is not found in the logging.properties file
in apache's conf directory.
In-fact, the only place that string is found is in /apache-tomcat-6.0.20/webapps/docs/logging.html,
as well as startup scripts but there is no dicsussion on the java loggin overview of how to
set he level.

I'm running Fedora 14 by the way.  I been through a lot of archives searching from various
angles, found similar problems, but none with sufficient answers for my problem.  I haven't
changed anything else in the properties file, so they are as shipped with Tomcat 6.0.20.
I haven't tried to implement log4j, as java.util.logging with JULI would be fine if I didn't
have to hear digesters every bowel movement like this:

1162113  Jan 5, 2011 4:28:59 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester endElement
1162114  FINE:   bodyText=''

Thanks

T.Curchod.