tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Clotworthy <>
Subject Problem Running Two Tomcat Servers at the Same Time
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:24:47 GMT

I have tomcat5.5 running on port 8080. I wanted to have a second tomcat instance (that was
is tomcat5.0) running at the same time. I made only one change to prevent a conflict. I changed
the connect port (in the server.xml file) of the 5.0 instance to 8090. However, if my 5.5
instance is up and running, I get the following error when attempting to start my 5.0 instance:

Jan 25, 2011 10:09:20 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8090
Jan 25, 2011 10:09:20 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 968 ms
StandardServer.await: create[8005]: Address already in use: JVM_Bind Address already in use: JVM_Bind
      at Method)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await(
      at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.await(
      at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(
      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(
      at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(
      at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(

Do I need to do more than change the connect port to avoid a conflict? Any response is appreciated.