tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <Robert.Jen...@surecomp.com>
Subject RE: deploying a war file and starting the application
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2011 20:31:20 GMT

From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 3:13 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: deploying a war file and starting the application

On 28/01/2011 20:03, Robert.Jenkin@surecomp.com wrote:
> Christopher,
>
> Thanks for your assistance.
>
> Here is my web.xml
>
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
> <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
version="2.5" id="web-app_1">

That does not look quite right to me. I'd normally expect to see the
following:

<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee"
                      http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd"
  version="2.5">

Tomcat is usually pretty tolerant of that sort of thing but worth
checking anyway.

>   <display-name>allMATCHWeb</display-name>
>   <servlet>
>     <servlet-name>InitServlet</servlet-name>
>     <servlet-class>com.surecomp.allMATCH.client.InitServlet</servlet-class>
>     <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
>   </servlet>
>   <servlet-mapping>
>     <servlet-name>InitServlet</servlet-name>
>     <url-pattern>/InitServlet</url-pattern>
>   </servlet-mapping>

That looks OK. Not the recommended way to do things, but it should work.

>   <welcome-file-list>
>     <welcome-file>/login.html</welcome-file>

As per the Servlet specification, welcome files should not have leading
'/' characters.

>   </welcome-file-list>
> </web-app>
>

> This is the InitServlet class declaration
> 	public class InitServlet extends javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet implements javax.servlet.Servlet,
Internationalizable

> This is the start of init() method
>
>     public void init() throws ServletException {
>         synchronized (this) {
> 	    	if (initialized || initializing) return;
> 	    	initializing = true;
>         }
> 		logger = new Logging();
> 		contextPath = getServletContext().getRealPath("/");

getRealPath() is not guaranteed to return a file system path. Also
writing log files inside the web app is usually a bad idea since you
lose the logs when the app is undeployed.

Mark