tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: writing logs on a separate server while the project as jar file
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2011 01:08:47 GMT
> From: Prashant Rajput [mailto:prajput@infocepts.com]
> Subject: writing logs on a separate server while the project as jar file

> I am deploying my Java application on tibco server and
> this server has its own log configuration. When I try to
> write log on this server I have to write separate line
> of code into each java class I am having.

> So can anybody tell me what exactly is the best way to
> write logs to a different server log file, when your
> application will only goes in as a jar file over there.
> My team is not deploying it onthat server we are just
> providing the JAR file having logger statements.

First off, if you're only supplying a .jar file, you're not delivering a complete webapp,
but rather just some (perhaps all) of the classes of the webapp.  A webapp consists of more
than just classes; consult the servlet spec for the additional spec-defined items such as
WEB-INF/web.xml.  Also, a complete webapp contains a WEB-INF/classes directory, where items
such as logging configuration files may be placed.

Second, I hope you're using an actual logging facility (such as log4j), not just blindly dumping
things to System.out or System.err.  All proper logging facilities provide for some means
of configuring the level of the detail and the output location; whoever is creating the full
webapp (of which your .jar is just a portion) has the responsibility of setting up the logging
configuration appropriate for the installation.

If you have been lazy and used System.out or System.err for logging, the person configuring
the complete webapp can set swallowOutput="true" in the <Context> element for the webapp.

 - Chuck