tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 6 logging clog
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 14:38:23 GMT
From: Tim Space [mailto:qwertypoi75@hotmail.com]
Subject: Tomcat 6 logging clog

> I'm tried modifying both files to no effect:
> /apache-tomcat-6.0.20/conf/logging.properties

Step 1: move to the current Tomcat version, not one that's nearly two years old.

> /jdk1.6.0_18/jre/lib/logging.properties

Not used by Tomcat.  (You should also update your JVM.)

> org.apache.catalina.level=FINEST

> However, the string "org.apache.catalina.level" is not found
> in the logging.properties file in apache's conf directory.

Nor need it be.  The above would set FINEST for the org.apache.catalina package, which would
be inherited by packages underneath that - for ones that don't override it with their own
.level setting.

> 1162113  Jan 5, 2011 4:28:59 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester endElement
> 1162114  FINE:   bodyText=''

Clearly indicative that you have logging set to FINE.

My suspicion is that you're not running the Tomcat you think you are.  Try downloading a fresh
copy from tomcat.apache.org, and running that with no config changes.  Make sure you don't
have any 3rd-party repackaged versions of Tomcat lying around, since the repackagers have
a nasty habit of scattering files all over the place, making it very difficult to determine
which config files are actually being used.

 - Chuck