tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat uses more and more PermGen space
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 14:13:20 GMT
> From: Mikolaj Rydzewski [mailto:miki@ceti.pl]
> Subject: Tomcat uses more and more PermGen space

> While investigating OOM issue I discovered, that Tomcat instantly
> uses more and more PermGen space.

I suspect you're not using the word "instantly" appropriately here...

PermGen can steadily increase if there's something in your environment that creates new, typically
anonymous, classes as part of its operation.  PermGen will not decrease until a full GC occurs,
which won't happen unless either the old gen or PermGen fills up (or a full GC is forced).

Simple increased usage of PermGen is *not* necessarily indicative of a memory leak, but not
returning to a stable value *after* a full GC would be.

 - Chuck