tomcat-users mailing list archives

From sol myr <solmy...@yahoo.com>
Subject Comet and multipart
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 14:48:53 GMT
Hi,

We're implementing a CometServlet on top of Tomcat NIO connector, using "long polling".
Currently we're using the approach recommended by most tutorials: the client opens a connection
and waits for a message (for a configured timeout); if such a message arrives, the client
consumes it (e.g. presents it on screen), then *closes* the http connection, and opens a new
connection (to wait for the next message).

Unfortunately, we have a network performance problem with opening and closing connections
(our 3rd party proxy is good at keeping connections alive, but is slow in negotiating new
connections).

So we'd like to keep the HTTP connection alive, and pass multiple messages on the same connection.
We were hoping to tell the messages apart based on multipart format, or some other separator,
or content length.

Could anyone please tell whether that's supported on the TomcatServlet side?
If so, could you please refer me to the appropriate documentation?
In particular, is there some flag (on Tomcat or CometServlet) telling it to "support multipart"?

Thanks :)