tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: deploying a war file and starting the application
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:02:20 GMT

Robert,

On 1/31/2011 9:09 AM, Robert.Jenkin@surecomp.com wrote:
> I am trying to figure out why my web services do not work in Tomcat.
>
> The following shows my web service code in eclipse
>
> package com.surecomp.allMATCH.client.webservices;
>
> import javax.jws.*;
>
> import com.surecomp.allMATCH.client.IReasonCode;
> import com.surecomp.allMATCH.client.businesslogic.ReasonCode;
>
> @WebService(serviceName="ReasonCodeService")
> public class ReasonCodeService implements IReasonCode {

[snip]

>   <servlet>
>     <servlet-name>ReasonCodeServiceServlethttp</servlet-name>
>     <servlet-class>com.surecomp.allMATCH.client.webservices.ReasonCodeService</servlet-class>
>     <load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>
>   </servlet>

You are trying to deploy a class that is not a servlet. A servlet must
inherit from javax.servlet.Servlet. Are these supposed to be web
services that are deployed into some kind of web services container? If
so, you don't want to configure them in web.xml. Instead, you have to
configure them according to the web service container you are trying to use.

What web service container are you trying to use? You mentioned earlier
in the thread that WebSphere and WebLogic servers were working well.
Perhaps that's because they provide their own web service containers
while Tomcat does not?

> When Tomcat starts each web service throws the following error. I understand that loadonstart
value of zero is default and not needed. Again, the war/web.xml is generated by eclipse.

> INFO: Marking servlet ReasonCodeServiceServlethttp as unavailable
> Jan 31, 2011 8:53:13 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext loadOnStartup
> SEVERE: Servlet /allMATCHWeb threw load() exception
> java.lang.ClassCastException: com.surecomp.allMATCH.client.webservices.ReasonCodeService
cannot be cast to javax.servlet.Servlet
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1048)

That's because ReasonCodeService (and presumably all your other
services) do not inherit from javax.servlet.Servlet.

> Is it a requirement for tomcat that a web service implements Servlet?

Tomcat does not provide any kind of web service container. For that,
you'll need Apache Axis or any number of other fine web service containers.

- -chris