tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Setup Advice Needed: dev vs. test vs. production
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:22:59 GMT

On 1/21/2011 2:28 PM, Susan G. Conger wrote:
> I can't.  This is running on an AS400.  And the clients are very
> particular on what you can install.

You don't have to install anything else.

Read RUNNING.txt, specifically the "Advanced" section. It will explain

> On my laptop I have multiple tomcat installations but I don't have
> that luxury on the customer's as400.

You should adopt the procedure above for your laptop, too: no need for
multiple Tomcat installations unless you actually want different TC

> So my thought process is I will have to change my software that
> communicates with the web services so that it calls different web
> services depending on dev, test, or production.  However I don't want
> to have to do this.

You will have to do this no matter what. How else will you select which
of dev, test, and prod you want to talk to?

> It would be better if I could just change the port.  I don't know if
> a virtual host would give me anything or not.

If you are changing the port, virtual hosting doesn't add anything. If
you are doing virtual hosting, changing the port doesn't add anything.

If you run multiple TC instances, it's easier to configure and deploy
(in my opinion) and you get the added benefit that your dev service
can't take down your production service.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: