tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: tomcat 6.0.29 webdav servlet support for file uploading with browser
Date Sat, 15 Jan 2011 12:28:21 GMT
Al eeeewq wrote:
> I started the tomcat webdav servlet and everything works fine.
> I can both explore and write to the directory with a webdav client as 'DAV explorer'.
> However when using a browser as firefox or chrome I could explore the directory and download
as usual, but I don't know how I would be able to upload a file. There's really no upload
button or so!
> Does anyone know why it's like this and how to fix this? I sure someones already configured
this for them selves!
> I have been using microsoft server earlier and when browsing in to their webdav repository
with a browser had the upload file feature enabled!
This has nothing to do with Tomcat, or with DAV itself or with the server side of things
in general.

The reason why you may be able to do this with Microsoft IE and a Microsoft webserver, is

because Microsoft products are based on a proprietary platform, and can thus introduce
their own "enhancements" or variations to the way these products work together, without
really needing to be very respectful of the established Internet standards.
For example, on a Microsoft Windows workstation, you can also access server-side DAV
directories using the Windows (file) Explorer, through its "Web Folders" capability in "My

Network Places".  But that is specific to Windows workstations (and it has some serious
compatibility problems of its own).

In summary, if you want these capabilities, then you should use Microsoft products.

Note that with the "web folders" implementation of DAV in the Windows Explorer, you should

be able to access DAV directories on an Apache httpd or Tomcat server.
*Provided* you have a correct version of the MS Web Folders installed on the workstation.
And there are more incorrect ones as correct ones.
Have fun finding the right one for your workstation.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message