tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Charset configuration on Tomcat 6
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:25:21 GMT

On 1/13/2011 2:27 AM, Achal Patel wrote:
> Attaching the Web.xml from Tomcat. I have tried everything posted on

This looks like the system-wide web.xml, not the web.xml from your web
application. Have you copied CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml into your own
webapp? That's completely unnecessary. Alternatively, have you replaced
CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml with the web.xml that is specific to your
webapp? That is confusing at best and dangerous at worst.

> Application is configured to be UNICODE compliant from JSP (having utf-8
> directives), Servlet response (utf-8) and the database jdbc connection
> as well is Unicode compliant (Which works on Weblogic and Websphere
> application servers).

There are still places where character encoding is important. For
instance, you haven't mentioned anything about the request. ;)

> So looking at possible options or any such configuration which I may
> have missed on the Tomcat 6.x.

Mark suggested reading Have you read it?
Specifically, have you read the answer to Q8: "What can you recommend to
just make everything work? (How to use UTF-8 everywhere)."?

There are 6 steps mentioned, there. Which ones have you done?

- From your messages in this thread, it looks like you have done 1, 3, and
4, while 5 and 6 might not be applicable to your situation. What's left?

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: