tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Apache Process going high even after restart of backend server tomcat
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:21:12 GMT
On 10.01.2011 17:00, Amol Puglia wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> I am facing very weird problem of apache porcess going high upto 259 and increasing again
even after restart of backend server ie. tomcat.

> Apache version :- 2.0.59
>
> Tomcat Version :- 5.5.9
>
> Apache/Tomcat connectivity :- mod_jk
>
> when i have checked mod_jk.log file i am seeing this messages in the logs.
>
> [Mon Jan 10 08:14:52 2011] worker1 erib2bdev.ericsson.net 0.001122
> [Mon Jan 10 08:14:55 2011] worker1 erib2bdev.ericsson.net 0.000732
> [Mon Jan 10 08:14:57 2011] worker1 erib2bdev.ericsson.net 0.000740
> [Mon Jan 10 08:15:00 2011] worker1 erib2bdev.ericsson.net 0.000846
> [Mon Jan 10 08:15:02 2011] worker1 erib2bdev.ericsson.net 0.000952

As I already wrote on the httpd users list:

The lines come from the JkRequestLogFormat configuration setting that
you must have added somewhere (default: no such setting, no lines). The
configured format will tell you, what the entry means. Likely it is
either the name of the virtual host, or the value of the host header the
client sent. Cleartext: this is requests being processed by your Apache
server. The client sends these requests to "erib2bdev.ericsson.net" and
they are received by your server. Or you configured your server to carry
the name "erib2bdev.ericsson.net".

For details see:

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/apache.html

and look for "JkRequestLogFormat" in that page.

The use of that directive is no longer recommended, because it is easier
to include request log information into the usual access log via
mod_log_config. Look for "mod_log_config" in the same page.

> I am not sure what does it mean when the name "erib2bdev.ericsson.net" is not refereed
anywhere in my apache and tomcat configuration files and not even in workers.properties file.
Can anyone help me torubleshoot this issue?

Furthermore this might not have to do with your issue, namely that you
think the number of Apache processes is to big. From the other thread
you posted containing the Java thread Dump excerpt we think that the
reason for the growing number of processes is, that your MUXServlet
doesn't handle the request and instead enters sleep. To make this
assumption a fact, you would need to tell us, whether there are many
threads in the same dump, that have the same stack (sleep in
MUXServlet), more precisely how many and what the names of the threads
are. If you find let's say 200 of those, then you are close to an
explanation.

Finally you have to do more than one dump to understand, whether the
sleep() was only lasting for a short time, or it is happening all the
time. Then you have to start talking to the developers of the MUXServlet
showing them those dumps.

Regards,

Rainer