tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Kloeber <>
Subject Re: Where does my stderr go?
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 08:12:20 GMT
Konstantin Kolinko wrote on 11.01.2011 08:55:
> 2011/1/11 Thomas Kloeber<>:
>> Konstantin,
>> Konstantin Kolinko wrote on 11.01.2011 01:03:
>> thanks for sending this link. I'm surprised that this is such an old issue!
>> So, if I understand the discussion correctly, Tomcat redirects stderr into
>> stdout_XXX.log, right?
>> Strange though, that I couldn't find my stack trace when I ran
>> exception.printStackTrace().
>> Either this goes to yet another place, which I can't believe or I must have
>> completely missed in, which I can't quite believe either ;)
> 1. System.out is buffered. So it might get stuck in the buffer. (Just
> saying. Have not tried to verify whether it is truth).
> System.err.flush() should help.
good point. But in my case it should have come eventually :)
> 2. If you used swallowOutput="true" in the context configuration file
> (it is "false" by default), then it will be written to the log file of
> the Host, i.e. into localhost_* log.
I checked that, swallowOutput is set to false..

I will do some more tests, it is still a mystery to me...

Intelligent Communication Software Vertriebs GmbH
Firmensitz: Kistlerhof Str. 111, 81379 München
Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRB 88283
Geschäftsführer: Albert Fuss

View raw message