tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Accessing context information remotely - Context.getAvailable() etc.
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 15:05:54 GMT

On 1/7/2011 6:53 AM, Ziggy wrote:
> Will a "full JMX" be started on the Tomcat JVM or on the JVM in which i am
> running the process to connect to the Tomcat instance?

Your client process, obviously: JMX is already started in the Tomcat JVM
in order to serve JMX requests.

> presumably if it is
> the latter then it will shutdown once the client tool completes? The tool
> should only take a few seconds to run on each iteration.

Yes. Rainer is only pointing-out that the JVM + the JMX subsystem is a
pretty heavy thing to be launching, say, every minute from a cron job.
On the other hand, you could use a shell script + wget and get the same
effect if you had access to the manager app because of the jmxproxy feature.

Of course, you could also write your own JMX proxy service and connect
to /that/. I wonder how easy it would be to hack the jmxproxy out of the
manager webapp and either insert it into another (your) webapp or just
deploy it on its own.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -